One Economy works in partnership with Social Enterprise Network and the Office for Disability Issues to deliver the Connect programme in support of ex-Remploy staff members who previously worked in the Remploy factories (Birkenhead & Wrexham) prior to their closure.
Connect offers a friendly job club for individuals to come together to take part in getting ready for work activities, catch up with ex-colleagues, share ideas and get involved in social activities.
The overall aim of Connect is to provide a social job club that offers a mix of activities and enables individuals to keep in touch.
Activities include: formal JCP reviews, getting ready for work activities, personal coaching and support, learning and development opportunities, money management and social activities.
- EMPLOYMENT – To help individuals to break down the barriers to employment, set clear and realistic personal goals for the future and provide the support and advice to achieve them.
- DEVELOPMENT – To provide support for individuals to take up personal development opportunities and work towards developing plans to achieve their aspirations.
- SOCIAL – To provide a friendly environment that encourages individuals to come together to remove feelings of isolation and start to build links within the local community by getting involved in social activities.
icon-check-square-o Supportive and friendly job club established
Steps into mainstream employment identified
Individual tailored support plans developed and implemented
Work placements offered and employment opportunities identified
Engagement with local employers and work placement opportunities offered
JCP reviews carried out and advice sessions established
A series of social activities developed
Raised awareness of local activities and support available
- EMPLOYMENT –
Getting into work
- IDENTIFYING PERSONAL BARRIERS –
Carry out an initial assessment of the individual’s previous work experience, skills, interests and any barriers that have to be overcome
- SUPPORT SESSIONS OFFERED IN:
Confidence building and motivation
C.V. writing/application forms and job search
Independent travel – travel training (if required)
- WORK EXPERIENCE –
Facilitate work trials and work placement opportunities
- FINANCIAL MANAGEMENT –
Provide finance, welfare benefit and better off in work advice to individuals and their families to support the move to mainstream employment
- PROMOTE AND SUPPORT –
Access to Work applications
- BENEFITS ADVICE –
Provide money management information, credit union, short courses etc
- JCP SUPPORT –
JCP provide support about JCP services and conduct reviews
- PERSONAL ASPIRATIONS –
Develop personal goals and objectives
- LEARNING AND DEVELOPMENT –
Provide one-to-one support with specialist advisors: mentoring, coaching and training
- BASIC SKILLS TRAINING –
Training sessions to build confidence, work readiness and how to make an impression on an Employer
Support individuals to set up and run social activities and events such as a pool league, health and well-being initiatives, volunteering etc.
Community partnerships developed, local employers and community groups provide awareness sessions on activities and support available.
Advocacy skills and self directed support programmes:
- Provide financial advice to ensure all relevant welfare benefits are applied for
- Provide information sessions on the development of self directed support programmes
- Signpost individuals to agencies and community forums etc. to raise awareness of support services and entitlements